To solve the energy consumption demand of the world and
environmental problems in the future the distributed generation is considered
an alternative approach. In this paper a new passive islanding detection
technique was proposed for the Hybrid distributed generation (HDG) system
based on changes in negative sequence voltage (NSV) and currents during an
unintentional islanding. Islanding is caused in the distributed generation
system due to failures in the power grid. As per distribution energy resources
interconnection standards, it should be detected within 2 sec with the
equipment’s connected to it. It is difficult to detect islanding during zero
power imbalance condition. Sequence analyzer will separate the positive,
negative and zero sequence components of voltages and currents from the
voltages and currents obtained at the point of common coupling (PCC).
During a wide range of power imbalance conditions the change in negative
sequence voltage and currents are examined for islanding detection. The
simulation shows that this method is free from Non detection zone, even at
zero power imbalances between load and distribution generation. The
computer simulations made in Matlab/ Simulink laboratory show the
effectiveness of this method.
Keywords: Islanding detection, Hybrid distributed generation (HDG),
Negative sequence voltage (NSV), Balanced Islanding, Non detection zone.
1. Ashok Bindra “A Unified Interface for Integrating Renewable Energy Sources with the Smart Grid”, IEEE Power Electronics Magazine, vol. 3, no.
4, pp: 4 – 6, 2016.
2. Yu Zheng; Zhao Yang Dong; Ke Meng; Hongming Yang; Mingyong Lai; Kit Po Wong “Multi-objective distributed wind generation planning in
an unbalanced distribution system” CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems,Volume: 3, Issue: 2,Pages: 186 – 195, Year: 2017.
3. Karan Sareen, Bhavesh R. Bhalja , Rudra Prakash Maheshwari “Universal islanding detection technique based on rate of change of sequence
components of currents for distributed generations” IET Renew. Power Gener., pp. 1–10, 2015.
4. Thomas Basso; Sudipta Chakraborty; Andy Hoke; Michael Coddington “IEEE 1547 Standards advancing grid modernization” IEEE 42nd
Photovoltaic Specialist Conference (PVSC), Pages: 1 – 5, Year: 2015
5. “UL1741 standard for safety for static converters and charge controllers for use in photovoltaic power systems,” Underwriters Laboratories, Jan
6. Yash P. Bhattl and Mihir C. Shah “Design, Analysis and Simulation of Synchronous Reference Frame based Phase Lock Loop for Grid Connected
Inverter”, IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics Intelligent Control and Energy Systems (ICPEICES-2016), pp. 1-5 , 2016.
7. Joydip Jana, Hiranmay Saha, Konika Das Bhattacharya “a review of inverter topologies for single phase grid connected photovoltaic systems”,
Renewable and Sustainable Energy reviews, vol. 72, pp.1256-1270, 2017.
8. Giovanni Artale; Antonio Cataliotti; Valentina Cosentino; Dario Di Cara; Salvatore Guaiana; Salvatore Nuccio; Nicola Panzavecchia; Giovanni
Tinè “Smart Interface Devices for Distributed Generation in Smart Grids: The Case of Islanding” IEEE Sensors Journal, Volume: 17, Issue: 23,
Pages: 7803 – 7811, 2017.
9. GökayBayrak n, ErsanKabalci “Implementation of a new remote islanding detection method for wind–solar hybrid power plants”
10. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 58,pp.1–15, 2016.