This study deals with the static analysis of the effect of shape memory alloy
using finite element analysis on ansys software.In this paper, a simply supported
carbon/epoxy beam is considered.A point load of 10 KN is applied at the top layer of the
carbon/epoxy carbon/epoxy beam. The boundary condition is same for with and without
SMA wire. this research work involves analysis of the 1000mm length carbon/epoxy
carbon/epoxy beam. the shape memory alloy wire is used at the top surface above the
neutral axis of the carbon/epoxy beam. The shape memory alloy wire which is 10% by
volume fraction of the whole carbon/epoxy beam. After performing analysis we compare
both the result with SMA and without SMA wire. In this analysis we compare the maximumdeformation, Equivalent (von-misses) stress and strain. From the above result, we have seenthe effect of shape memory alloy wire on the carbon/epoxy beam. All the method which isused to analysis the carbon/epoxy beam is controlled by ansys software.
Key Words: Carbon/Epoxy, Shape Memory Alloy, ANSYS Workbench, Finite Element
Analysis, Fiber Volume Fraction
1. H., F. (1987). SHAPE MEMORY ALLOY. GORDON AND BREACH SCIENCE PUBLISHERS .
2. S.M.R. KHALILI, M. D. (2013). MODELING AND TRANSIENT DYNAMIC ANALYSIS OF PSUDOELASTIC SMA HYBRID COMPOSIITE BEAM. APPLIED MATHEMATICS
AND COMPUTATION .
3. YAHYA BAYAT, H. E. (2019). A NON LINEAR STUDY ON STRUCTURAL DAMPING OF SMA HYBRID COMPOSITE BEAM. THIN WALLED STRUCTURE , 18-28.
4. ANSYS Mechanical APDL Structural Analysis guide & ANSYS Reference Guide.
5. Brinson LC, Lammering R.Finite elemant analysis of the behavior of Shape memory alloy and their applications,Int J Solid Struct 1993;4;229-242
6. Bathe K-J. Finite Element Procedures, Cambridge University Press: 2007.
7. Zhu S,Zhang Y.A Thermomechinical Constitutive Model For Superelacticity SMA Wire With Strain- Rate Dependence. Smart Materialstructure
8. B.T. Lester, T. Baxevanis, Y. Chemisky, D.C. Lagoudas, Review and perspectives: shape memory alloy composite systems, Acta Mechnica 226 (2015) 3907–
9. Y. Bayat, H. EkhteraeiToussi, Exact solution of thermal buckling and post buckling of composite and SMA hybrid composite beam by layerwise theory, Aerosp.
Sci. Technol. 67 (2017) 484–494.
10. S. Hassanli, B. Samali, Buckling analysis of laminated composite curved panels reinforced with linear and non-linear distribution of shape memory alloys,
ThinWalled Struct. 106 (2016) 9–17.